Vicki M. Lambert, IOMA
From the Publisher:
You know that payroll is one of the most important and complicated functions of the accounting department. To run effectively and efficiently you need a knowledgeable, technologically savvy staff that is up-to-date on the constantly changing compliance rules and regulations. This practical resource provides you with the optimal methods for legal and tax compliance and implementation, the sample forms, and important guidelines needed to run an efficient and cost-effective payroll department. Includes real-life examples, sample procedures and forms for the reader to use. Describes the various compliance requirements that payroll must follow.
Table of Contents include:
- Chapter 1. Basic Functions of the Payroll Department.
- Time Records.
- Form W-4.
- New Hires.
- Errors and Corrections.
- Payroll Reconciliation, Tax Deposits and Quarterly Reporting.
- Chapter 2. Staffing the Payroll Department.
- Creating a First Rate Payroll Department.
- Managing the Staff.
- Staff Motivation and Morale.
- Working with Human Resources and other Departments.
- Chapter 3. Management Issues.
- Customer Service.
- Dealing with the Internal Revenue Service.
- Handling Department of Labor Audits.
- Compliance Issues.
- Research Needs.
- Security Basics.
- Chapter 4. Benefits and the Payroll Department.
- Should Payroll Handle the Company’s Benefits?
- Year End and Year Beginning Issues.
- Chapter 5. Payroll Systems.
- Objectives of a Computerized Payroll System.
- Interfacing and Integration.
- Selecting a Computerize Payroll System.
- Controls and Security for the Payroll System.
- Disaster Recover a Must.
- Time and Attendance Systems.
- Employee Self Service Systems.
- Chapter 6. Paying Employees.
- Paper Checks are Still an Option.
- Direct Deposit.
- Chapter 7. Year End.
- Start Year End Off With a Memo.
- Planning and Surviving Year End.
- Reconciliation of Payroll at Year End.
- Form W-2.
- Chapter 8. Payroll and the New Year.
- Setting Up the Payroll System for the New Year.
- Setting Up the Payroll Department for the New Year.
- Chapter 9. Professionalism and the Payroll Department.
- What is a CPP?
- Why Become a CPP.
- Studying for the test.
- Ongoing Training.
- Professional Organization.